Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 28 August 2013

I'm a Predator! Grrrrrr.

Tuesday 27th August 2013

Swim (750M 00:15:40) 18M Pool at Gym

I have decided that between now and the Stena Triathlon on 8th September I am going to work on my 750M swim speed.
Speed being a relative term in this case.

My goal for the swim part of the event is to get out of the pool in under 16 minutes.  That might not sound all that fast to some of my “fish-like” friends but it is a good steady clip for me.

Although the time I did in the pool today would appear to be well below this goal, it is not really a reflection of how it translates in to the real thing.

For example, swimming in an 18M pool is easier than a 25M pool – more turns = more pushes off the wall -= lower time.  Also, a lane to yourself is not the same as sharing a lane with six other people and getting held up, or more likely in my case having to step aside at the end of a length to let hem pass me.
 
These need to be factored in, so I have set the short term goal of getting the 750M swim done in under 15 mins in the 18M pool, and hopefully that will translate well on race day.

I will keep plugging away at this.

On a separate note, I made the switch to a new set of goggles also.  For a few years now I have been loyal to Aquasphere Cayenne, however I thought I would try something new and went for the fantastically named “Zoggs Predator Flex – Polarised.” (as recommended by Adrian O’Brien from the Macca MX12 Facebook Group)
 
First swim impressions are that they are a nice fit and comfy enough at first try.  I hope they carry on like this as I am keen to get a pair that are comfy over a long distance and don’t leak or fog.

So now I’m a Predator in the pool.  On second thoughts that just sounds wrong on quite a few levels!

Cycling(11.16 Miles / 00:49:55 / 13.40 mph / HRZ 4 / Cadence 67) Elevation Gain 419M
4 X Hill repeats – Pond Park Road

Run to the hills.  Or ride to the hills more accurately.

Not a bad sessions with four efforts on the hill and a decent enough time and I felt OK throughout.
I had the company of my Club mate and recent Ironman Stanley and his 14yr old son James, who is an amazing young athlete.

I thought I was going well until the lanky 14 yr old breezed past me and looked like he was just idling his way up the hill but rapidly disappearing off in to the distance ahead of me.

I shouldn’t be too downhearted by it as he is 27 yrs younger than me and about 70lbs lighter!

I could have done five repeats as I was feeling good but used the excuse of fading light to pack it in after 4 sets. (it is getting dark earlier after all!) It really was just an excuse and I need to really stop being soft and knuckle down to the training programme as planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment