Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Hobbling back to training and chunks in the pool.

Monday 17th February 2014

Cycling (17.17 Miles / 01:03:00 / 16.30 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 80 rpm) 242 M Elevation

Finally!  Back on the road again.

I had the day off work as the kids are on half term, so despite the rain I was determined to get out and test out my improving knee and see how it held up with a short ride. 

The great news is that my knee was brilliant.  Even though I was on my heavier winter bike and it was windy, I didn’t feel any soreness, even when having to push hard on some hills.

Apart from that side of things, the ride was good fun and I enjoyed being soaked and a key difference from previous wet rides was that I wasn’t frozen.  The weather was wet and windy but mild.  It made things a bit more bearable.

Swimming was cancelled tonight as someone decided to throw up in the pool, causing a Chernobyl style clean up operation and delaying the pool opening again until 8PM.
 
 
I couldn’t be bothered hanging around for the later session so I passed on it and will make up for it later in the week with another session to replace it.

Tuesday 18th February 2014

Running (00:30:0 / 03.67 Miles  / 00:08:30 per mile / HRZ 2)

This was it.  A real test of the improving knee injury.  My first run since 29th January, almost three weeks.

Normally this is my lunchtime tempo run, however I told Brendan that I would have to take it easy on pace and cut the mileage a bit.
He left me after about two miles and pressed on with his 10K while I headed for home.

I am delighted that it all held together and the pain I felt initially which was about a 4/10 gradually dulled throughout the run to about a 2/10.  I had a bit of restricted movement on the left leg, but nothing too major and I would guess that I’m about 85% repaired.

It is amazing though how fitness leaves so quickly.  I felt like I was working a lot harder than I actually was, and I know I have a lot of work to do to regain the fitness lost over the last three weeks.  The most important thing though is that I am back doing some training and I am desperate to have the injuries go away and allow me to get back to proper fitness levels.
 
Cycling (15.39 Miles / 00:50:46 / 18.2 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 90)
Turbo - Sufferfest - A Very Dark Place
 
Turbo session again tonight.  It really was a very dark place.
Just the three of us tonight but that didn't stop us flogging ourselves on this tough video.
 
It felt pretty good and I enjoyed the dark sweaty place that it took us to.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment