Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 February 2014

The Week 13 IM (Non) Training Round up.

Sunday 9th February 2014


Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Nuttin. Zero. Big O.  Pretty much Bugger all!


That was the sum total of my training this week.
To say it hasn't been my best week is a bit of an understatement.


I missed training on Monday as I was away on Business but it was Ok as I had rejigged my schedule for the week and was confident of hitting out a solid week's training.


Tuesday morning and as they say, "all the best laid plans..."
On the way down the stairs on Tuesday morning I managed to stand on the kids school shoes which had been left on the stairs and I then proceeded to throw myself down the stairs on my back and flying through the stair gate at the bottom.


The end result was that I twisted my knee, hurt my back and whacked my elbow.  I was left in not particularly good shape.
That put paid to my training, and indeed walking, on Tuesday.


Thankfully the sore back and elbow cleared up quickly but my knee went up like a balloon and was stiff and sore.


Wednesday saw me still in quite a bit of pain but with a bit more mobility in the knee but I was nowhere near being able to run or cycle or even swim. 
On Wednesday afternoon I had to have tissue sample taken from my tongue as I've had a bit of an on-going problem with it over the last while.  So the end result of that was three injections in to my tongue, a 5mm sample of tissue taken out of it and 3 stitches put in. 
The whole thing really knocked the stuffing out of me and I have struggled with it since then.


For the best part of three says I couldn't eat solids and was in real pain.  It has eased off a bit since then and I have been able to eat proper food again but it is still pretty sore at times.


Generally I have been feeling sorry for myself all week then and everywhere I look I see people running and cycling and I feel totally helpless.


One of my highlights this week though was the Parkrun at Wallace Park on Saturday.  It was my friend Brenda's 50th Parkrun which is a great achievement and there were quite a few club mates doing the run too.  My Son Ben wanted to do the run, so I took him down and watched.
He did really well and knocked out a 5K PB with a 24.24 run.  Not too shabby at all.


I know that I have plenty of time left until Zurich and part of the reason I started  training earlier than I needed to was to allow time for injuries, however, I can't help but feel frustrated and under a bit more pressure to get back out there again.
Once again I am in that position between wanting to heal properly and the need to get back in action again.


My knee is probably about 80% right at the moment and I feel like I could cope with swimming OK, and possibly a bit of biking.


I'm in London now for a few days and will take the training gear with me on the off chance that it feels good enough to maybe hit the stationary bike or treadmill at the hotel.


We'll see how it goes but I am hopeful of at least getting off my arse next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment