Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Set backs, non fractures, drop outs and a clean stretch. It's been an interesting two weeks.

Tuesday 23rd September 2014

Getting back to it again.
Since Titanic Triathlon which was over two weeks ago I've been suffering from a pretty severe foot injury.  I've no idea what it was but it left me literally hopping on one leg at times as I couldn't out weight on my left foot.
It got to the point that last Monday saw me in Casualty at the Royal Victoria getting an X-Ray as I was getting concerned that it may have been fractured.  Thankfully it wasn't and their best guess was some sort of severe Tendon strain.  Prescribed some Mind blowingly strong Ibuprofen which had similar medical qualities to Magic Mushrooms and a bit of rest off the foot.



Eventually I managed to get back on the bike a bit towards the end of last week for a commute and then I tackled Parkrun for my first run in two weeks.

Parkrun went well enough - I didn't push on too hard but went reasonably well and finished up only 15 seconds off my Wallace Parkrun PB time.  More importantly the foot felt OK.

This week I managed to get back on the bike again and commute in and out of work and recently I've been using the Tow Path a bit as it's longer and means I can get a few extra miles in.
It might be dodgy enough in the dark and wet in winter but I'll stick with it as long as I can.

Tonight was my first serious enough run back again.
I set out with the goal of doing 7.5 miles in an hour and I'm delighted that I managed over 7.6 miles at an average pace of 07:49 per mile.  It felt tough but do-able which is encouraging.

Disappointingly I had to miss the Stena Triathlon because of the injury and I also withdrew from the Causeway Coast Marathon next weekend as I just couldn't risk the foot on the rough off road course.
This leaves me with a five week stretch through to Dublin Marathon and hopefully I can stay injury free and get a decent stretch of training in before then.

I've also swapped the Causeway entry over to another race in Mid November which is the Tollymore Marathon.  This is an off road Trail marathon through Tollymore Forest Park.  in the back of my mind is the thought of doing the 40 Mile Ultra Marathon version of it but that might be a bit much.  I'll make the call after the Dublin Marathon and see how the body is coping after it.

Onwards and Upwards - hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment