Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Don't look!

Tuesday 24th September 2013

Running (7.00 Miles / 00:59:13 /00:08:27 per mile / HRZ3)

What is my natural tempo pace? 

That really means what sort of pace will I run at if I just go and run at an intensity that is a bit of a challenge but that can be held on to for a decent enough length of  run.

In order to see where I am on this I just went out and ran and ignored my watch completely.  This is not as easy as it sounds – especially for someone who has been using the watch as a key driver for training over the last three years or more.

No looking at Average Pace, Heart Rate or Last lap mile split.  This was a real challenge.

Don’t Look.  Don’t Look.  I had to force myself to not look but I’m glad I managed to abstain.

The run felt Ok and the final mile or more up the hill home felt a bit tougher than the rest but that was only to be expected.

For me the pleasing thing is not just that the average pace was under 8.30 per mile but that every mile was at a consistent pace and the swing in mile splits was only about 10 seconds.

The confusing thing though is that I ran an average pace faster than that at the weekend for the Half Marathon.

I suppose it just goes to prove that in a race the average pace will be a bit higher as I’m prepared to put a bit  more on the line.

I intend to take this approach in to the next long training run and then in to the Dublin Marathon.  Not that I’ll be running 8.30 per mile for theMarathon but I think I will now aim at around 9.30 (ish) per mile and see how I go.  It’ll hurt but hopefully the reward will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment