Powered By Blogger

Saturday 7 September 2013

Meat is for Pussies. (So I'm told)

Tuesday 3rd September 2013

Swimming (750M / 00:14:46) 18M Pool in Gym

Back in the pool and aiming to carry on the steady work from last week.

I felt pretty comfortable and didn’t have the sensation of pushing all that hard, it just felt like I was swimming quite strong for a bit less effort than before.

One of things I have been trying to do is not to check my watch for time as I go, and I was fairly sure that I was going to be slower than my previous effort as I felt like I was going easier and slower.

When I finished my requisite number of lengths I stopped the watch and was surprised to see that I had knocked another two seconds off the time from last week.  I have no expectations to keep improving with every single swim and knocking time off each time, however I will gladly take it as long as it lasts.

Amazing really how just two seconds can make you feel.

Running (18.00 Miles / 03:01:23 / 00:10:04 / HRZ 2)

Time to pay for my laziness at the weekend. I had ditched doing my long run last weekend and I needed to make up for it now.  So after work it was time to slip on the shoes and head out for an 18 mile loop.  Not exactly the highlight of my day but it needed to be done.

My mind set was fairly optimistic as I headed out the door, the weather was lovely and it was around 19 degrees, which is warm enough at 6.30Pm in Northern Ireland.

About half a mile in to the run I realised I had forgotten to put on my running cap. No big deal you might think, however it’s funny how something so simple and habitual can make all the difference.  To say I was irritated the whole way round by excess sweatiness due to the lack of hat is an understatement.

The sun was shining, the countryside looked nice and all was well with the world.  Then at 7 miles I turned off the country road and on to the hard shoulder of the main road.  Not just as nice but I was feeling pretty strong and keeping in my Heart Rate zone – going slower than I would like but still keeping steady and no worries. (apart from the sheen of sweat that perpetually covered my face and attracted flies in their dozens!)

One of my pleasures when running is to listen to Podcasts.  I prefer this to music as it feels like I have someone talking to me, although I don’t get to answer back.

I have to say that the interview I listened to on the Rich Roll Podcast was brilliant.  It was with a guy called John Joseph, who is a veteran hard core punk musician from New York, Ironman, Author, Buddhist Monk and Vegan.  A really interesting guy and the most atypical New Yorker you have ever heard.

He talked a lot about his new book which is called “Meat is for Pussies(A how-to guide for dudes who want to get fit, kick ass and take names),” which sounds like a great read, if for nothing else than the brilliant title.  I will definitely be getting the book and I recommend having a listen to the interview.  All two and a half hours of it!!


(He also happened to say “F*$k” more times in an interview than I’ve ever heard before – so it was right up my street.)

Sixteen miles in to the run and the legs started to come off.  Admittedly it was 9.00 PM at night and I was feeling tired and the pace was significantly dropping to below a 10.30 per mile pace.  Not good, but it was late and up hill so I was just glad to get home and sit down and get a very large drink in to me.

Am I happy with the run? Yes, in that I did it and pushed through when it was hard going. No, as it was at least 30 secs per mile slower than I wanted and I really felt like I was suffering more than I should in the last couple of miles.

The verdict is – More work to be done and Meat is For Pussies!

Wednesday 4th September 2013

Swimming (750M / 00:14:44) 18M Pool in Gym
Another two seconds off.  Quite pleasing.

Over and out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment