Powered By Blogger

Thursday 31 October 2013

Dublin Marathon RaceReport - Sunday 28th October 2013

Monday 28th October 2013

Dublin Marathon ( 26.2 Miles / 04:00:50 / 00:09:12 per mile / HRZ3)



Overall Position 5492
Category Position 1009



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Heading in to the Dublin Marathon I was probably feeling the most confident that I have ever been before hitting a 26.2 mile course.

Previously the curse of injuries has to a greater or lesser degree impacted on my ability to get a consistent block of training together and this has ultimately made a difference to my ability to deliver on the day.

I have pretty much come away from every one of my previous 10 stand alone Marathons with a feeling of “could have or should have done better.”

This time I have been more or less injury free in the run up, apart from a slight Achilles niggle last week which was over and done in a few days, and feeling in decent shape.

I have long harboured hopes of cracking the 4Hr mark but it has always seemed out of reach for me, and taking that in to consideration I came in to Dublin with a goal in mind of beating my previous Personal Best of 4Hr 21mins 34secs and the hope to do a 4H15M time.

Training had gone pretty well and in fact I had been knocking out long runs at a pace which was better than that required for my 4:15.  Optimism was abounding.

Fortunately (for me) I “encouraged” my club mate Keith to enter the Dublin Marathon after running with him at the Belfast Half Marathon and he expressed an interest in Dublin. Yeah sure – five weeks training is enough! 

I love the Dublin Marathon and it’s always a great excuse for a couple of days away with the family over the Half Term Break and this year was no exception.

Sunday saw us drive down and hit the Expo, collect my pack, get a new pair of K Swiss Trainers at a silly reduced price from my friend Michaels’ Pure Running stall.  €40 for a pair of K Swiss!! Bargain.

After a bit of wandering round shops we adjourned back to the hotel, put the feet up for an hour or two and then headed out for dinner.

Keara struck lucky at the restaurant, being rewarded with a huge glass of wine for free because they had been so slow in delivering our food.  I was gutted as I was off it ahead of the big race next day.

It’s fair to note that this wasn’t her first glass either!

Back to the hotel and asleep for about 11.30PM meant that I should hopefully get a decent nights’ sleep and feel refreshed in the morning.
After an early Breakfast I met up with Keith and Andy outside my hotel and we made our way to the start area.  This would be the last we saw of Andy as he was aiming for about a 3.30 finish time, while Keith and I planned on something a little more sedate than that.

Now I don’t exactly know what got in to me but at the Expo I lifted a pacing bracelet for a 4Hr finish time and decided that I was going to go for it.  I would aim to stick with the 4Hr pacers and hold on for as long as I could with the view that if I slowed down I hopefully would hold on to get the 4.15 PB.

After what seemed like an eternity of hanging around before the start, corralled in the start pen trying to keep warm and looking like a plonker in my bin bag to keep we eventually got off to the start line for our wave, which was the 3.50-4.15 estimated finish time.  This time wasn’t entirely wasted as unbelievably I was standing right behind another friend, David Patterson.  What were the odds of that among nearly 15000 people?  We had a quick catch up and chat before moving off.

Keith was happy enough to go with my pacing plan as this was his first Marathon and he was hanging his hopes on my experience.  Mad fool that he is!

We got the 4Hr pacer in our sights and as the gun went off we tried to keep them in view through the crowds.

Within about half a mile it became obvious to us that the 4Hr pacers had obviously mistaken themselves as the 3.50 pacers and were racing ahead at a pace well in excess of the 9.08 required for 4Hrs.

Undeterred we pushed on to keep them within range and eventually by about 4 miles we decided the more or less ignore them and stick to our own 9.08 per mile pace as they were clearly going too fast.  At one point they were only 150 metres behind the 3H50 pacers.

At this stage I made a decision in my head to adjust my plan as I was feeling pretty comfortable at the pace we had been holding.  I decided to hold a steady pace at just around 9.00-9.10 per mile, keep relaxed and aim to stay strong for the second half of the marathon and if possible move the pace along a wee bit.

We went through half way at around 2H01 and this was just about right and was OK given the congestion in the earlier part of the  race.
The support along the route was the usual mix of enthusiasm and Dublin craic with a particular highlight being a supporter holding a poster saying “Run like you left the immersion heater on!”

Just after half way Keith started to get a bit of a niggle in his knee, which had been working on him over the last week or do.  This injury led to one of my most memorable Marathon moments ever.

Asking for a drink of my water, Keith proceeded to pull out a Diclofenac anti inflammatory tablet from his running pouch only to drop it.

In his own words, he was like a Junkie from Trainspotting, on the ground on his hands and knees trying to gather up the pill like it was his last few grams of Heroin.

It was bloody hilarious with all of these people almost trampling over him as he frantically tried to gather it up.  Priceless!

Shortly after this the pain in his knee got quite a bit worse despite his best “junkie-esque” efforts and he encouraged me to go on ahead.

I Managed to pick up my pace a little bit and set myself the goal of maintaining a 9min mile for the remaining 10 miles.

I surprised myself to see that by and large I maintained this and found myself at the 20 mile mark in around 3H04mins.  This meant I had around 56 Mins to do a 10K.  Ordinarily that would not be a problem but at the end of my fastest marathon to date that might be a tough enough challenge but I was determined to give it everything.

I had a thought bouncing around my head from here on in which was saying, “ Don’t be ‘That Guy’ who finishes just a few seconds over the 4Hr mark – don’t be 4H and 1 second!  Push on. Push on!”
I pressed on with the aim of maintaining my 9 min mile pace.

One thing I began to notice through the latter stages of the race was that my Garmin watch was signalling my mile markers earlier than the official markers on the course.  As the miles progressed the difference grew.  By the 24 mile mark on the course, my Garmin was reading 24.2 miles.  Quite a bit of a difference and one that would come back to haunt me very soon.

At around 23 miles I felt a tap on the shoulder and it was another Facebook Friend Iain O’Kane running up alongside me.  He too was on for a 4Hr finish and we ran together for another mile or so.  Iain urged me to press on which I did and he was following close behind.

Rather unfortunately my hotel was around 24.5 miles in and it was tough to run past this when it would have been very tempting to just pull in and hit the Bar, but I kept pressing on and upping the pace as much as I could.

Tick Tock – time was slipping away and I was getting closer to the finish and the 4 Hour mark.  Keep going hard was my mantra and I did.
I passed the 26 mile point (which was 26.2 on my Garmin) and rounded Trinity College on to the straight to the finish line some 400 yards ahead.

Keara and the Kids were on the side of the road cheering me on and this gave me just another little boost for the final few hundred yards.  I hit it as hard as I could manage, but with about 150M to go I realised that my watch had just tripped over the 4Hour mark and I had missed the goal.  Apart from feeling like I wanted to cry because I was going to be “That Guy,” I also thought I should just slow down and ease the pain as I had missed it anyway.  Then another thought struck me that I should go even harder to the finish as sometimes funny things happen with chip timing and maybe by some miracle my watch was out from the chip and I would sneak under the 4Hr mark.  Imagine if I slowed down only to find that I had only missed it by a few seconds.

I gave the last 100M everything I possibly could and crossed the line completely empty from my efforts but feeling immensely pleased at my huge PB.

My Garmin read 4H0M51secs and 26.45 Miles distance covered!   Bloody Hell, I am ‘That Guy.’

The final chip time would tell me if I was ay closer to the 4hr mark, but in my heart I knew it would never be more than 51 seconds of a difference.

As it turned out, my actual official time was 4H and 50 secs.

On reflection I am delighted with a 21 minute improvement on my previous best time and I am no longer trying to figure out how the hell I could have dropped another 51 secs to get me under the 4Hr mark.

On review, Mile 26 was covered in 8min44secs and the last 0.45 mile was done at 7.45 pace.  That would explain why I was done at the end of it!

I absolutely loved the experience again and felt remarkably good after a few minutes of finishing. I now have a very clear goal I mind and know beyond a doubt that a true Sub 4 Marathon is within reach and perhaps I can take it even lower if I can train consistently.

As it turned out Andy and Keith had great debut Marathons with 3.48 and 4.28 respectively.  Very impressive for first time out and a lot of experience gained from this will lead to improvements next time I am sure.

I will not do another Marathon now before Ironman Zurich in July but this is the best possible lead in to my training block which starts in two weeks time.

A PB at marathon distance to add to my PB at the Half Marathon a month ago are the best possible confidence boosters for the training to come.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great race report - I love your mantra of 'Don't be 4 hour and 1 second'! At 23 miles I came up with my own mantra of 'I want my P.B. I want my P.B. I want my P.B...' And it worked!

    Well done on your P.B. too and next time remember to dip on the finish line to shave off those 51 seconds ;)

    ReplyDelete