Powered By Blogger

Monday 16 July 2012

I haven't gone away you know!

Saturday 14th July 2012

People have been asking if the blog would stop now that the Ironman is over and the journey from Jellyman to Ironman is complete.  I had thought about stopping it but at the moment I am going to keep it going but obviously without the focus on the Ironman training. 
My immediate goals are to recover well from the exertions of last week and to enjoy the rest of the triathlon season.  I hope to compete in about 3 or 4 more Tris this year and will also be looking at a programme to improve my overall running speed over shorter distances and build this in to my programme for the London Marathon in April 2013.
So, to adapt a quote from a rather infamous statement by one of our local politicians -
"I haven't gone away you know!"

Running
3.16 Miles / 00:24:55 / 00:07:53 per Mile / HRZ 2

This was my first run since completing Ironman Frankfurt.  I had been feeling great since the event and was looking forward to this run for a couple of reasons; firstly I was going to be running with Ben and it was his first 5K race and secondly I am keen to start working on getting a bit faster and this is a good way to start things off at my first Parkrun.

The run started out pretty quick and this was mainly down to Ben going off fast and I did begin to wonder if I would be able to keep up with him.  Luckily his inexperience caught up with him and he slowed a bit on the 2nd mile.  I kept checking was he OK and he said he was, although he did seem to be flagging a little bit at around 2 miles.  His 3rd mile picked up the pace again and we were able to finish strong in a joint time of 24.55, averaging just under 8 min miles.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/queens/results/latestresults

I was delighted for him and think he will be able to knock quite a bit of time off that once he gets used to pacing himself better and builds the endurance base a little bit.  It will be good training for his upcoming Rugby season too.

No comments:

Post a Comment