Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Boucing back with a big M Dot entry. Zurich 2014, here I come!

Well, it's been about a week now since the disaster at Glenarm, as it shall be forever known now and I can safely say that I have moved on and not looked back.

They say that the best way to bounce back from something is to set a new goal and go for it.
Typically I tend to set the goal a bit high and what better way to set a challenge than to enter another Ironman.

So, yes, I am in for Ironman Zurich 2014.  27th July 2014.  Pretty much exactly one year away.  Now that's a goal.  Hopefully we will be able to combine this trip with a holiday down by Lake Garda after the event.  ( any tips from anyone on where to stay at Lake Garda would be greatly appreciated.)

There has been a lot of interest in the event from mates at Lisburn Triathlon Club and my hope is that we will have at least 6 going.  We'll see!

 
So far this week I have been lucky enough to string a bit of training together.  It has felt a bit tough getting back in to the swing of things because of being a lazy fat git while I was away on holiday.
 
Last night up at our Caravan in Donegal, Ben came off his bike and wound up in A&E at Letterkenny Hospital getting 3 stitches on a really nasty hole in his arm!  He's also got a bit or Road rash that apparently most cyclists would be proud of.  He seems to be fine so hopefully it hasn't put him off his growing interest in cycling.

 
Monday 22nd July 2013
 
Running (6.01 Miles / 00:54:01 / 00:08:59 per mile)
 
A decent wee run although |I felt a bit naked as I'm still without my Garmin which I lost in the race that shall not be mentioned!  Pace felt good and I felt comfortable throughout, but the legs felt a bit stiff - only to be expected I suppose.
 
Cycling (17.10 Miles / 01:02:01 / 16.50 mph)

I headed out for an hour with two of my neighbours.  I was slightly wary as they are both good cyclists and in a lot better shape than me.  The route was lovely and a few new roads for me, which is great as I can get bored of the same old routes. Although I was regretting their choice to head up the last hill which I had struggled on before.
To be honest I felt that Paul and Richard were taking it pretty easy by their standards the whole way but it felt like a steady pace for me, which up to that point had been around 17.5mph.  The hill put paid to my average speed.  While they sped off up the hill which is probably only about half a mile long, I felt myself blowing apart and I just couldn't hold their pace at all.
The good thing is it showed me what I need to do to prepare for the hilly course in Zurich.
I think that this hill will become my friend (sort of.)

Tuesday 23rd July 2013

Swimming (1500M / 00:32:38)

A quick swim at lunchtime in the pool at the Gym.
Somehow I managed to lose my nose clip at the Tri last week (cheaper than a Garmin but annoying none the less) which meant that for the first time in years I was swimming as God meant.  Clipless.

I have to be honest and say that it felt horrible, but rather than being a Pussy and wimping out, I just plugged on and was quite pleased with my time.
Straight afterwards I went right over to the Sports shop and got a new clip.  No more stinging nose!

Cycling (11.30 Miles / 00:48:53 / 13.90 mph / 453M Elevation Gain) Hills - Pond park Road X 4

Club hill session and I was a wee bit nervous about it as my legs felt heavy and my last couple of hills have not been a fun experience.
Thankfully it went well and realistically I could have done another trip up.  It would have hurt but I reckon it could have been done.
Good fun and a new record for descent speed - topping out at 46.1mph.  It felt pretty quick.
The 4 ascents were done in 8.33 / 8.39 / 9.01 / 9.15.  I'm pretty happy with the consistency.  Next challenge is to see if I can maintain speed or actually get faster as the reps go on.

So, in summary a fantastic new challenge ahead and hopefully a chance to get a bit of decent training over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment