Powered By Blogger

Monday 9 June 2014

Tri Limits 71.3 Half Iron Distance Race - Race Report

Thursday 5th June 2014

Cycling (15.78 Miles / 00:56:48 / 16.80 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 75)

Commute in and out of work with a view to just keeping the legs spinning over and loose ahead of the big race on Saturday.
All went well and the good feelings on the bike just keep coming.  Hope if continues.

Saturday 7th June 2014

Tri Limits 71.3 Half Iron Distance Race – 05:41:26 - Overall 33rd from 56
Yep, you read it right, 71.3.  Not 70.3 which is the normal Half Iron distance race.  The Guys at Tri Limits like to do things a bit different and in this case they advertise it as “Going the extra mile”, literally!



And the best news is that the extra mile is not on the bike but on the run, just to really make you suffer.
Pre race I was feeling pretty confident in my training and potential for a decent performance and I had been pretty methodical in my expectations and planning as to how I wanted the race to go.

I set my expectations delivering times to get me a PB and each discipline was to be:
Swim - 45 Mins
T1 -  5 Mins
Bike – 3H 15 Mins
T2 – 5 Mins
Run – 2Hrs
TOTAL Time 6H 10 Mins

This time would give me a PB of nearly half an hour on my previous best of 6H 38 Mins.  That would represent a great day of racing.

The weather forecast for the day was absolutely awful.  Heavy rain and thunder predicted throughout the whole day.  Waking up early on Saturday morning and the forecast was sadly proven right.  It was absolutely chucking it down and when Ben arrived to collect me, he got soaked just getting out of his car to put my bike in the boot.  This was going to be a tough day out.

When we got down to Eskragh it had calmed down a little bit and the rain had stopped and there was a bit of wind, but nothing really to worry about.  The lake looked lovely and was very calm.  I was even told that the water temperature was not too bad either.  We would see about that one!

At registration we met up with the other guys from the Club who were racing, Gavin, Aaron, Andy and surprise guest, Mark, who had just completed Ironman Lanzarote three weeks ago but decided that he should just rock up and have a bash at this!!

The usual flapping around getting set up went pretty quickly and before I realised, it was time to race.

One thing I realised was that I was a lot more relaxed and casual about my pre race routine than normal and I’m not sure why but luckily I didn’t make any mistakes.

The Swim – 00:35:32
I was a bit unsure if I could achieve my goal of 45 minutes on the swim as I haven’t done an Open Water Swim all season and this may have been a negative.

From the minute I got in to the water I felt pretty good.  It was a decent temperature and was very calm.  The buoys looked a long way off for the two lap route, but they always do look further away then they actually are.

The hooter went and we were off.  This isn’t a big race, so the thrashing and fighting at the start isn’t too bad and within 100m or so I was in relatively clear water with a few people around me.

Then right on cue, my usual fight for breath at this stage of an Open Water Swim got the better of me.

I felt like I had too much air in my lungs and was not expelling enough, creating a sort of hyperventilation.  I am used to this now and I knew it was just a reaction to the swim start.  I breast stroked for a moment and gathered my self, focused on blowing bubbles on my out-breath and told myself to wise up.

Within about 2 minutes I was absolutely fine and in a good rhythm for the swim.  It felt really comfortable, not fast but good.
At the end of the first lap I was tempted to sneak a peak at my watch to check progress but decided not to as I thought it might put me off in case I was slower than I hoped.

The second lap went well, apart from some awful sighting on my part which meant I had to divert almost 90 degrees to avoid missing a buoy.

Eventually I got out of the water and as I ran towards transition I looked at my watch and couldn’t quite believe that it said 34 Mins and something seconds.  I honestly thought that I must have banged it on a buoy and stopped the watch.  That was the most unbelievable swim time I have ever done and it felt comfortable which was amazing.

T1 – 00:05:31
My nemesis. I always have awful T1 times, so my goal of 5 minutes was going to be a challenge.
I opted for socks on the bike as I thought it might be a bit cold and I also put on my long sleeved jersey as it is both windproof, breathable and mostly waterproof.  This meant I was a bit slower than hoped but I was still out of there in 5 minutes and a few seconds.
So far all was going to plan or better.

The Bike – 03:03:48 (including T2)
Having done the race route a couple of nights earlier with Ben, I was hopeful of a decent ride today.

This didn’t start out the best as I was fiddling with my Garmin trying to get it to transfer from T1 timing to the Bike and it messed everything up, I almost stopped the bike as I was going so slow trying to sort it out as I wanted ideally to see my bike info on the screen.  Alas this was not to be as it had skipped on through the bike and T2 and as now in run mode.  Not the best but at least I could get a gauge of time and Heart rate.
I got in to a bit of a rhythm and pushed on.

The bike route is 3 loops of a decent course with a couple of short rolling hills but mostly flat.  There was a bit of a tailwind on the way out and it was in to me on the way back a bit which meant the return leg was about 2 or 3 minutes slower then the outbound leg.

The good thing about the looped out and back course was that I could see my Club mates and other competitors at intervals and gauge how I and they were going.

I could tell straight away the Big Andy was absolutely flying and he was being chased down fast by Aaron and then Mark, Keith and Gavin.  Ben was a few minutes behind me.

As the laps progressed I failed to make time on any of them and most of them probably put a bit of time in to me but I did catch some people on the bike and made up a few places in the ranking.

I focused on my plan of getting in my nutrition as I went along and treated this very much as a trial run for Ironman in July.  I took a Gel every 30 minutes and food in the 15 minutes in between the gels.  I just drank to thirst and it all seemed to go well and I also felt like I was pushing a good steady pace.  At no time did I feel tired or under pressure.

The Garmin incident meant I had to guess my time, but as I finished the third loop I was guessing on a ride of just under three hours, which was way ahead of schedule also.  This was particularly pleasing as the conditions with rain and the breeze were not perfect.
The last mile in to T2 is on the run course so I was able to see that Andy was out front on the run and looking very strong.  Mark and Aaron were behind him and Keith was just heading out.

As I came down the hill in to T2, Gavin was heading out on his run.  He just did  a 3.17 Marathon last week so I knew he would be quick.

On the whole I was delighted with my bike.  It was controlled, fast (for me) and left me feeling strong for the run.

T2
This was a bit quicker than T1 and would have been quicker if I hadn’t opted to change socks as the other ones were soaking and I didn’t want to risk a blister.

The Run – 01:56:35
I had been looking forward to this and based on my training runs, felt that a two hour half marathon was entirely possible.  My only concern at the time was that I haven’t done many Brick sessions so I hoped the legs would transition OK from bike to run.

As I got going I realised that I was running at 7.30 per mile pace.  Far too fast to be sustained but strangely comfortable.  I decided to be comfortable and ease it off and aim to about 8.15 per mile pace and see how I got on  with that.  No point in blowing up now, If I had anything left later on I could push on.

The run was a SIX loop out and back course.  Mentally this might be as much of a challenge as the distance itself.  Then it hit me that the run was 14 miles and not 13.  Damn that extra mile.

I decided not to focus too much on distance and think more about counting down the loops as I went through them.

It also helped having a marker on the other guys as I passed them twice on each loop to see how I was progressing.

Within about 3 miles I realised that no one was passing me on the run other than those who were laps ahead of me and competing at the pointier end of the race.  No one from my sort of grouping was passing me and if anything I was passing a number of people.

Getting the odd wave, shout of encouragement or high five from the guys as we passed was a good lift and it helped to see the gap close slightly on a few of them as we went along.

I managed the nutrition well and took a gel right on plan at he end of loops 2 and 4, and a drink of water at the end of each loop.  This was in my plan, so I stuck to it and it worked.

By the time I was finishing loop4, Andy was on his last loop and was looking strong on his run in and was on for a cracking time.

As I got to the end of loop 4 I caught up to Aaron as he finished his fifth loop and we ran together to the turnaround point on lap 5.  As we rounded it and he headed for home, I told him to push on which he duly did.  For some reason unknown to me I just seemed to tag on to him and increased my pace as he stepped it up a bit.  This was stupid on my part.  What was I thinking/  It was his last lap not mine.  I still had at least three miles to go, but I just felt good and stuck with him and we ran up to the aid station together.  He veered off for the finish line and a hugely impressive time as I turned and went back for another loop.

As this was the last loop I decided to move it on a bit and see if I could up the pace.  I felt a bit tired but tried to focus on my form and being just in the moment and not thinking too far down the road.

As I rounded the last run point and back up the road for the last mile, I knew I had a HUGE PB in the bag and wanted to get in as fast as I could.  The last half mile was genuinely quick for me and I think the last 2 miles were both in around the 7.45 per mile pace.  Not too bad at the end of a Half Ironman.

Even more surprising to me when I reviewed the final results was that I had the second fastest run split from the club behind Gavin who just looked on fire on the run.  He ran about 1.53 and I ran 1.56.  I’m might proud of that time.  The Half Marathon distance went through in 1.48.  Stand alone that would have been a PB!

Overall time – 05:41: 26

Summary

To finish with a PB of almost an hour was mind blowing.  To beat my predicted times by half an hour was very pleasing.

I take away a real sense of satisfaction from the performance and a degree of confidence that the training is doing what it should do.

I also take a note of caution that just because it happened in a Half it might not happen in a full Ironman.  It is a completely different beast and I probably need to be a bit more conservative in the big race, even if I am feeling good.  It can go pear shaped all too quickly.

My drink and nutrition plan worked well and I will stick with those principles for Zurich.
My equipment worked well, excepting the Garmin incident, which was my own fault.

The result was good and it sets me up nicely for the last seven weeks of training.
Well done to Andy, Gavin, Keith, Aaron, Ben and Mark.  It was a great day out and nice to do it with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment