Powered By Blogger

Monday 7 July 2014

Big hill session, long runs, lots of swimming and I'm feeling ready to go.


Tuesday 1st July 2014

Blooming heck!  July. Where did that come from?

Running (01:02:40 / 8.00 Miles / 00:07:50 per mile / HRZ2)

Early run before work and once again it was really lovely heading up the tow path towards Shaws Bridge from Belfast and back down again.

I’m delighted with the pace and even more importantly, the pacing of the run.  Very evenly paced and steady miles.
The run is coming along nicely.

Cycling (20.36 Miles / 01:27:55 / 13.90 MPH / HRZ2 / Cadence 68) Elevation Gain 735M
PP Hills X 7

Another hill session this evening and I was determined to get 7 repeats in.  Last time I just didn’t feel like it but this time I was doing it.

It felt pretty good for the initial few and I was joined by Aaron for the last few as he was also doing a lot of repeats.

The average pace for each repeat was steady and I just slowed a bit on the last couple but they came in at  - 7.52 / 7.47 / 8.05 / 8.27 / 8.34 / 8.55 / 9.19 - AVG 8.24

I’m pleased with the session and that average is probably my best for a sustained session.

Wednesday 2nd July 2014

Swimming (3000M / 01:14:00)

Another early session and I don’t have too much to say about it apart from the fact that it was very steady despite taking me about 30 lengths to feel like I was swimming with any sort of form at all.

Running (00:51:21 / 6.00 Miles / 00:08:33 per mile / HRZ2)

A really easy 6 mile run today.  I just wanted to do the run and feel very comfortable throughout,  it surprised me how easy it felt at this pace and my Average Heart Rate was only about 80%. I think there’s a good base of strength coming through there.

Cycling (17.89 Miles / 01:07:03 / 16.00 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 73)

This was meant to be a 50 mile ride but clearly it didn’t turn out that way.
I was to ride out to Ben’s house and meet up with him and then carry on to finish off the 50 mile route.
Unfortunately when I got out to Ben he couldn’t go because of a family emergency.  This was just the excuse I was looking for.  It was a bit of a dull night and threatening rain, plus I really just couldn’t be bothered. So, Instead of doing what I should have done, I just headed for home early and left more than 30 miles unaccounted for on the training plan.

Not good but these things happen.

Thursday 3rd July 2014

Cycling (47.82 Miles / 02:45:47 / 17.30MPH / HRZ2 / Cadence 80)

In an effort to make up for the poor showing last night, I headed out with Arran for a planned 50 mile out and back ride to Richhill.  It wasn’t a bad night at all and despite a headwind most of the way out, we made good progress and I was looking forward to the return leg with a bit of a tailwind.

The wind didn’t let me down and we definitely had a bit of a shove in the back most of the way home again.

It was good to ride with Arran and chew the fat over a few things (mostly Tri related) and tick off a decent number of miles as well.

Average pace was terrific and importantly it felt very easy too.

Friday 4th July 2014

Swimming (4000M / 01:34:08)

A big effort in the pool this morning.  I was pretty determined to get the big yards in and this was the perfect opportunity for it.

Traffic in the lane was a wee bit slow this morning as there were four of us sharing it but we all made decent progress.  I focussed on keeping a steady pace and just relaxing in to the swim.
All went to plan and I’m delighted with the time which was some 10 minutes faster than I managed at the same stage of training for Ironman Germany two years ago.

Saturday 5th July 2014

Running (02:51:50 / 20.00 Miles / 00:08:35 per mile / HRZ2)

Running in Donegal is never really my favourite thing.  I don’t know why.  The scenery is lovely but I just never really seem to do it very well up there.

I agreed to meet my friend Michael for part of the run and I headed out to meet him a few miles in to the route.

Sure enough the first couple of miles out to meet him felt really hard and I was sure I was in for a bad run, which is not a good feeling when you are planning to cover 20 miles.  It makes for a very long day!
 
After meeting up with Michael we headed out towards Ards Friary and did a lovely little loop there and then back for a run through Ards Forest park and a bit of time on the trails.
The conversation was fantastic.  Michael filled me in on all the great things to do in Lake Garda when we go in a few weeks and we didn't even notice the miles slip by.
 
At about 14 miles Michael headed off and I went on to finish out the 20 miles.  The last 6 miles went by well enough and I held the pace consistently.
 
I'm delighted with the average pace for the run and it was really great to catch up with Michael again and it just proves that good company makes a good run. 
 
Weekly Summary
13:00 Hours
Swimming - 9000M
Cycling - 101.72 Miles
Running - 34 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment