Powered By Blogger

Saturday 18 June 2011

Glenarm Triathlon Sat 18 June 2011

Glenarm Triathlon
500m Sea Swim - 00:09:08
T1 - 00:03:10
25K Bike - 00:55:42
T2 - 00:00:21
5K Run - 00:17:40 (run leg seemed about 1k short - hence the fast time - for me!)
Total time - 01:25:57

A  great event set in a really scenic part of the Antrim Coast.

The swim went well, and I was pleased as this is my first experience of an open water swim.  It certainly lived up to all the things that people told me about open water swims - I got a couple of kicks to the head and was swum over quite a few times in the geneal confusion as everyone jockeys for place.  To be fair I probably gave as good as I got.  Trying to see the buoys for turning was a lot harder than I had expected and it is something I will need to work on.

Transition 1 went well and I was really pleased to be able to get the wetsuit off all by myself without falling over or looking like a total Gimp. (although some would say that the Tri suit underneath made me look like a Gimp anyway!!)

The bike leg was an out and back affair with a striaght climb of about 4% for around 5 miles, but this was offset with a fantastic downhill back again - I tried like hell to hit 40 mph, but couldn't get past 39.5 mph despite pushing like crazy.  Guess I need to get a bit more aero to increase the speed.

Transition 2 was brilliant - in really quick and straight in to the running shoes then out again.

The Run was bizarre as for the first mile I literally could not feel my feet at all with the cold.  It was like running on wooden blocks.  They eventually warmed up and I was pleased with the pace of my run and even managed a bit of a push at the end. It was nice to have my Brother-in-law Nick run beside me in his work suit in the grass for about 100M as he encouraged me along and laughed at my Tri-Gimp attire!)  I clocked the run approx 1KM short of 5K, but I wasn't complaining about that.

Oveall a great day and looking forward to the North Down Coastal Challenge tomorrow (100K) on the bike and no running or swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment