Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 24 August 2011

I'm feeling so Continental.

Wednesday 24th August

Cycling
41.00 Miles
- 02:59:49 (13.7 mph / HR 150bpm Z2 82% Max / Cadence 77rpm / 1573ft climbing- ooh that was hard)

Early morning ride today - I thought I would get up and out early to at least have the most part of the day left when I got back.
I also had another motive - to cycle out to Chain Reaction Cycles at Doagh and spend my birthday money on some new kit which I had fancied.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

I chose a fairly challenging route (for me anyway) to go up over the mountain (small mountian if you live anywhere outside of Northern Ireland - more of a big hill really) from Lisburn to Dundrod and out to the Airpost and through Templpatrick to Doagh.

I am not sure whether it was me or the slightly tougher gearing on the new Cube bike but the hill up out of Lisburn was a killer and that was from mile 0 to 2.
(for the bike techies, it is a standard crankset and not a compact)
I got through it and the rest of the ride out to Doagh went really well, and I spent some time in the Aero bars to try and get used to it, as this will be my new living position for the next 9 months.

After buying a few things (All nice new Continental gear !!!!) at Chain Reaction it was home via Carnmoney and Belfast.




The legs felt a bit tired at the end, but I do have a horrible hill to climb for the last 2 miles up home.  Overall very pleased with the ride and managing the hills OK - eventually.

Even if I am crap on the bike at least I will look the part in the new gear.

That will do it for longish rides before Lap the Lough this weekend. I am really looking forward to this event.  81 miles of pretty flat roads around lough Neagh - the largest freshwater lake in Europe I am told.



No comments:

Post a Comment