Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Hill Session and reflecting on The Boston Marathon Tragedy.

Tuesday 16th April 2013

Cycling (11.42 miles / 00:52:55 / 12.94 mph / 77rpm / HR Zone 2 / 412M Climbing)

Tri Club hill session again.
A good turnout tonight with 9 of us enjoying the pain.

I think it is fair to say that everyone who was there last week and this week saw an improvement on the last session.  I know I did.
I managed 4 sets up the hill and I definitely feel that I could have done another one OK.  It might not have been pretty but I could have done it.  At the moment though I am wrapping myself in cotton wool and not taking any risks ahead of Sunday.

My average speed was up and also the extra repeat was an obvious sign of improvement - along with feeling a bit stronger.
What I am pleased with though was the 40mph top speed on the way down the hill again.  I was very comfortable cranking it down, even though there was quite a breeze.  Don't know why but I felt very much in control descending tonight.

It would not be possible to avoid commenting on the tragedy at the Boston Marathon yesterday.

Living in Northern Ireland it is easy for those of us who lived through the worst of the Troubles and lost loved ones to get a bit hardened to some tragic events but this one really hit home with me.
I think it was because it was at a Marathon, something I have been to a lot of times and more critically the family have been with me at most of them, and usually around the finishing line. 
The victims are ordinary people either running or supporting friends and loved ones.  Just like my family.

I wish all those injured a speedy recovery and hope that they recover from their injuries and are able to run again if they want to.

I am sure that there will be some sort of recognition of the events at the London Marathon.  I think that a fitting tribute is for the event to go ahead and everyone to stick two fingers up to the sickos who carried out the bombing.

No comments:

Post a Comment