Powered By Blogger

Monday 27 May 2013

Giving a hungover Parkrun the ELBOW and feeling a bit Special(ized).

Saturday 25th May 2013
Running (3.11 Miles / 00:24:41 / 00:07:56 per mile / HRZ 4.4) Wallace Parkrun

Tough call this morning getting out for the Parkrun.  So many reasons not to do it!
Ben was meant to run it with me but when I woke him up he bailed out complaining of a sore leg.  I thought that bailing out sounded like a good idea and went back to bed.
Too much Cider and wine the night before and I was pretty happy to be tucked up under the duvet again.

At 8.55 I thought I really should just get up and do the run.  I quickly got changed and headed down to the run.  No breakfast, no coffee - NOTHING!

Part of the reason for going was that I knew there would be a big turn out from the Club, and I was right.  I reckon there were at least 10 from the Club running.

I started out far too fast and paid for it on loop two of the three and a half loops. it's no coincidence that mile two was my slowest of the three miles today.
I managed to get a bit of a second wind for the last lap, just as Michael McLernon from the Club stormed past me to the finish line for the win.  he was closely followed by Chris, Michael and Mark - taking the first 4 places in the event.  One hell of a result for the Club.  Plus lots of the other guys made up the top 15.
A really impressive result for us.

I managed to pick up the pace a bit again and was pleased to finish 31st out of 106 with a 24.41.
I was actually pretty pleased after all of the faffing around I did just an hour earlier.
I would have been delighted with that time if someone offered it to me before the start as I thought anything under 26 mins would have been good for a hung-over - lying in dodgy start to the morning.


Monday 27th May 2013
Running (6.70 Miles / 01:02:50 / 00:09:23 per mile / HRZ 3.0)

Bank Holiday today and I had a lovely day.
Had a lie in, bought a new bike, had coffee at M&S, one hour run.  What else could I want?

BACK UP!!! A new bike!!!
Yep - I sold my Kuota and bough a new Specialized Tarmac Sport.  I'm delighted with it and can't wait to get out on it.  Hopefully tomorrow!

 
Anyway - back to the run.
I did something that I never do tonight.
I didn't wear my Garmin or listen to a podcast on the iPod. I ran naked!
 
I put the Garmin in my back pocket and just ran by feel, hoping to keep a steady pace and Heart Rate at Zone 3 or lower.
 
Apart from a couple of stops at lights and a quick chat with a friend for a wee while (which cost me some extra seconds) every mile was paced very evenly and the heart rate stayed within the right zone.
 
I might do this again so that I can just get a bit more tuned in to running by feel and not be so focussed on the Garmin.
 
 
The bad news is that my elbow is still sore and I have very little strength in it at all.  There is no way I could swim at the moment and until today the thought of cycling would have been painful.


The elbow feels a bit better today and maybe it's just down to the thought of getting on the new bike tomorrow that's doing it!  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment