Powered By Blogger

Thursday 22 May 2014

A lesson for life. Bet you never expected that.

Tuesday 20th May 2014

Running (00:33:00 / 4.30 Miles /00:07:40  / HRZ 3)
Tempo Run

Out with David and Ian from work. The speedy crew

With half an eye to the race this weekend I wanted to have a steady paced tempo run that would be challenging but not leave me with wooden legs the next day.

After the usual pace fluctuations as Ian tries to slow to a crawl by his standards, we settled in and managed a very consistent set of miles at a decent enough pace for me.

I felt relatively OK throughout, apart from a spike in the pace around the 2 mile mark where we were down to about 6.40 per mile pace.

Cycling (00:52:56 / 11.87 Miles / 13.50 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 69) Elevation 430M
Pond Park Hills X 4

Where did all that heat come from.  It was one of those evenings where the sky is hazy and not all that bright but the atmosphere was heavy with humidity.

After about half a mile I realised the error of wearing a long sleeved jersey.  I was sweating buckets.

Given the upcoming race, I was playing this session by ear a little bit, as I wanted to get in some decent climbing but not trash myself.

As it turned out, I settled for four repeats instead of the usual six, and to be honest I was glad to finish at four as I was doing OK but just not feeling particularly strong.

The repeats were (9.05 / 8.35 / 8.32 / 8.56 – Average 8.47.)  A bit slower than previous weeks but steady enough still.

One thing that was weird was an extremely annoying clicking noise coming from around the pedal somewhere.  Every rotation of the pedal was met wit ha click!  This became irritating after about 3 milliseconds, so you can imagine that after 9 minutes of climbing I was slightly aggravated by it.  

At the top of the hill I climbed off and after a thorough check of the bike I eventually discovered that the end of the rear brake cable which is hidden low on my bike was rubbing the left pedal as it passed.  I simply had to just bend it in and no more noise.

Isn’t it funny how the most annoying things can often be something so small and fixed so easily.  Sounds like a lesson for life there folks. 

(Look at the added value you get from this Blog.  Triathlon nonsense and a roadmap for life.  What else could you want?)

Wednesday 21st May 2014

Swimming (3000M / 01:10:45)
Endurance session

Who needs sleep ayway?  That’s what I was thinking as I sat waiting in the car park at the swimming pool at 5.30AM, after realising that the session didn’t start until 6.00AM!

I wasn’t mad at all.  I was too tired to be mad.  Half an hour of time in bed missed. Doh!

Anyway, once I got in to the pool, things went rather well.  As I have mentioned before, one of the things I think I will benefit from in my swimming is to add longer endurance steady sessions.  This was just one of those sessions.

I did 4 X 750M with 45 seconds recovery between each one.  They all felt good, and I didn’t feel too tired as I progressed through them.

Looking back at my IM training in 2012 – my best 3000M session was 6 minutes slower than this session, so I’m pretty chuffed with the progression.

Running (01:53:05 / 13.00 Miles /00:08:41 per mile / HRZ 2)

The plan was originally for a 17 mile run, however after thinking carefully about it, I decided to go for something a bit shorter this week to keep the legs a bit fresher.

Despite the warm weather I found  the run went quite well.  Not brilliant but not bad.  The pace slowed a bit in the last couple of miles back up the hill to home and my legs did feel tired after the climb up, but on the whole it went well.

I’ve decided to modify the rest of my long runs in the training plan for the 10 week run in toZurich.  

I had originally planned to go up as far as a 21 mile run but I’ve now decided that I will build up a bit slower over the next number of weeks, and go up to 15, then 17, 18 and peak at 19 miles.  I think that will be more than enough.  Especially as these runs will probably be done at sub 9 minute mile pace, which will be substantially above my actual pace on the Ironman run.
I think this should work out OK with my goal to build endurance but not arrive at the start line inZurich completely smoked with leaden legs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment