Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 May 2014

The Giro D'Italia has been absolutley amazing and I loved every second of it.

Proud! That's the best description I have to describe how I feel about Northern Ireland hosting the Giro d'Italia.
Yes I have been doing a bit of training over he alt few days but I have sacrificed some training to take time to soak in as much of the Giro as I possibly can.
For the Giro to come to Northern Ireland and race in Belfast is phenomenal and I want to absorb every possible minute of it.
So training was given a second priority and the race for the Maglia Rosa took top billing.

I had great expectations for what the Giro would bring to Northern Ireland and how big it would be and it is fair to say that it has surpassed everything I thought.

The Thursday night Team presentation was absolutely fantastic despite the mixed weather and 6000 people in City Hall shouted their heads off and gave a huge welcome to the teams and the Jerseys.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took in the practice session for the Team Time Trial down at the Titanic Area and the opportunity to mingle with the riders in the paddock.  The Giro is so accessible and the ability to get up close to the riders and teams was incredible and I hope that the teams appreciated the enthusiasm and knowledge of the crowds.

Watching the TTT was a real treat and massive thanks to my friend Michael Jenkins who hosted us in the upstairs of his shop Pure Running and plied us with beer and sandwiches over looking the last corner as they turned up to the last 400M of the course.
It was spectacular and probably one of the best views in Belfast.

 
 
Saturday saw the first proper stage of the race and the only disappointment was that the poor weather didn't allow the Antrim Coast to be showed off to it's full extent.
Thanks to Nelson from the Tri Club we secured front line position at the 100M mark on the sprint in to the finish. Ben came with me and  he absolutely loved it, getting to stand right on the barrier and see the full tilt sprint finish only a couple of feet away was a real highlight.

Thanks to Keara we also had a fantastic night with a Pink, Giro themed party at the house and having our friends and family decked out in pink was fantastic.


 
 
  


Sunday was the last chance to see the Giro and quite a few of us from the Club headed down to Richhill to see the Peloton ride through.  We positioned ourselves at the top of the hill and watched as the Breakaway of 5 riders came through followed about 5 minutes later by the full peloton.
It was truly spectacular and the ease with which they went up a hill that would have seen me up out of the saddle was pretty impressive.



The last few days has just made me love cycling even more and to be lucky enough to see a Grand Tour in my home town was pretty special.

The support from everyone and the enthusiasm that the public put behind the event has been truly memorable and done us all proud.  I think it will have surprised people around the world how we embraced it and loved it.
Now that it's over it's a bit depressing but I think we will all have great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment