Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 May 2014

It's been a while but I've decided to get back on the saddle, in the pool and hit the tarmac.

Well, it's been a long time since I out finger to keyboard and rambled on a bit about what I've been up to.
There have been a number of reasons for this but predominantly down to apathy.
Luckily though for all of my Blog fans I'm back. I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear that!

So what has happened over the last couple of weeks or so.  Training has been going reasonably well and I have managed to get some reasonable hours in the bank, and although I feel that a  bit of quality is missing, I am happy to take the volume at this stage and build a bit more quality back in again.

Week before last I only managed about six and a half hours but the good news was that I managed to get 3 rides and 3 runs but still no swimming as I was still struggling a bit with the chesty cough and breathing.

I entered the Wetlands Duathlon which was a longer distance duathlon with a 10K run, 40K bike and final 5K run.  I had a plan to stick to for each component and it went pretty much to clockwork.
I finished with a time pretty much bang on what I had hoped to do, so I was pleased with the performance and also my ability to stick to a plan.

Last week was a pretty decent week for volume and I managed to make it back in to the pool again.
My God, getting back to swimming after a month off was pretty dreadful.  The first session almost had me throwing up at the side of the pool.  Wednesday night got a bit better and my early morning swim on Friday went pretty well actually and I set a PB for 2500M.

My cycling is going pretty well at the moment and I am spending more time on the TT bike as I need to get the most out of it as that's what I'll be riding in Switzerland.
It is  very different riding it as it's a more aggressive set up and because it is built for going fast in a straight line it is a bit more twitchy that the road bike. I'm getting more used to it and I am using it at every opportunity, even for the Pond Park Hill sessions.
These Hill sessions have been going really well and last week I did six repeats which was a best for me, plus the average time for each climb was a best also.

I also managed to get in a long ride with the boys from the Club.  The pace was a lot faster than I had been expecting and that was in part down to riding in a group but also just the pace being pretty hot. (for me anyway)  I went through the 90 mile mark in 5Hrs dead with an average speed of 18MPH, but a block headwind on the way back really slowed me down and I finished off the 110 Mile ride with an average speed of 17MPH.  Bloody good for me I thought.



My running is probably  the thing that is bothering me at the moment as I am feeling it is harder than it should be, but I know it might just take a while to get back in to shape with that.
Following the long ride on Saturday I decided to follow up on Sunday with a long run of about 15 miles, however I was obviously fatigued from the long run and cut it short to 11 miles, which were of totally crap quality and a real struggle.  What did I expect really?
running on tired legs is an important part of Ironman training so I better toughen up for future ones and just grind it out.

Week 25 Summary14H 20Mins
Swim 6950M
Bike 160 Miles
Run 21 Miles
 
 
Monday 5th May 2014
 
Cycling (01:04:59 / 17.39 Miles / 16.00 MPH / HRZ2 / Cadence 76)
 
 
Having the Monday off for the Bank holiday presented the opportunity to get a nice wee ride in.  Unfortunately it pissed the whole way and my nice clean TT bike got completely stinking.
It was still a steady ride and went OK.
 
Swimming (2100M / 00:56:32)
Technique session
 
Back in the pool again and thankfully it was a hell of a lot better than last Monday.  A bit of fitness was back again and the main set of 4 X 100M descending went well, apart from the fact that it exposed my lack of "gear changes" between fast and flat out.  I need to work on my pacing a little bit as they are pretty much the same thing.
 
I'm hoping for a decent week of training and am getting very excited about the Giro d'Italia coming to Belfast on Thursday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment