Powered By Blogger

Sunday 16 September 2012

Gym Bunny Circuits


Thursday 14th September 2012

Circuits Training – 45 Mins (Felt like a lot longer)

I am not what could ever be considered as a Gym Bunny, however today I took a big step and it wasn’t even in time to some sort of Techno-based Ibiza inspired Pete Tong background gym music.

I went to a Circuits class at the Gym during my Lunchtime.

I was a bit apprehensive as I don’t really like Gyms.  All of the machines that I don’t know how to use, the free weights that I don’t know how to use and the occasional professional Gym body who spends more time gurning in the mirror and checking his false tan and perfectly “scruffy” hair than getting on and doing a real man’s workout, like running 10 miles or swimming or riding a bike.

I may have to take it all back though.

The class was full of pretty ordinary people, in fact I was the only one with an M dot Ironman Tattoo, which I was rather pleased at, and no one seemed to fit the bill of the stereotypical Gym Beast described above.

The instructor was really friendly and even made sure I was OK with all of the “complicated” machines – like the medicine ball and dumbbells!

I have to be honest and say that despite all of my Ironman training that this was the first time in quite a while where I got that jelly like feeling and a real sense of being properly worked over. I don’t even think that this was a particularly hard session either. Worryingly!

I was delighted that the trainer made a point of checking with me, as the new guy, how I was getting on and also complimenting me on my form. (Oh Matron!) 

Shortly after that, my form disappeared in a pool of sweat on the floor and some other poor Bugger had to do some press ups in it.  There’s an incentive to keep your head up.

It is just such a different type of exercise than what I am used to.  Pretty intense with not much in terms of rest time as you progress through and it is clear that for all of my fitness that getting in to this will take a bit of time.

Afterwards I could feel my arms go wobbly as I tried to dry my hair (and yes, Ha Ha it didn’t take too long!) and put on my tie.  It was a bit unpleasant but in other ways it felt good.

The verdict – I think I will go back again.  It is a bit different to what I’m used to and I am sure that it will compliment my other training activities.  One thing is for sure that it will certainly do me more good than harm.

I’m off now to get a bottle of false tan and a gallon of “Just out of Bed” hair gel.  One has got to look the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment