Powered By Blogger

Monday 17 March 2014

Thanks very much for the day off Paddy.

Monday 17th March 2014

Cycling (01:07:43 / 17.25 Miles / 15.30 MPH . HRZ2 / Cadence 80 rpm)

You've got to love Bank Holidays.  Thank you St Patrick for all your snake driving and heathen converting and most importantly for getting me off work at this time every year.


To most sane people the Bank Holiday represent a chance to catch up on few ours of extra sleep, especially when the rest of the house is not off and have all gone to school.

Not to the Ironman! Oh no.  This represents a chance to squeeze in some more training when ordinarily I'd have been at work.

Maximising my opportunity I hooked up with Keith out at his place and we knocked out a very satisfying ride on the bike.  A decent route with a bit of climbing (and of course wind) had us take in some of the Ulster Grand Prix route at Dundrod and back to Keith's place for a quick change before hitting the run.

The bike felt good with a couple of tough enough short climbs but I was feeling good enough throughout and had no residual soreness after the longer ride yesterday.

Running (00:59:47 / 7.13 miles / 00:08:23 per mile / HRZ 2)
Brick session

Pretty quickly we got off the bikes and donned the trainers and hit the road for a run.  Unfortunately for me I have not been doing too much running straight off the bike and I know it is something I need to do a lot more of as it worked really well for me last time around.
Within about 300M of leaving Keith's we hit a tough wee climb of less than a quarter mile, but this is where my lack of bricking it showed up.  The heart rate spiked and the hamstring felt more like Violin strings!

Thankfully after about a mile or so, my legs started to feel like they were actually mine again and our pace steadied out.
Now, Keith says he hasn't done too much running recently but he was holding the pace absolutely great and looked strong throughout.  I'm personally delighted that we managed apace of 8.23 per mile and especially as my Heart rate averaged 79% against the 85% upper limit I had set for the run.

Apart from anything else it was great just to catch up again and shoot the shit with Keith.

Swimming ( 00:58:30/ 2050M)
Technique session

No coach again tonight so just our own self discipline to keep us going.
I would up in the lane with Patrick and Nelson and had to try to push on a bit to avoid being continually lapped.  It just about worked.

I'm finding my swimming a bit frustrating at the moment as I am not feeling as comfortable as I know I should and am fighting the water a bit. I keep saying it but I think I'm just going to have to get in the pool another time each week and grind out a long session to build the endurance.  Bit of a bugger but it looks like it'll have to be done.

On the whole a pretty productive day off work.  Thanks Paddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment