Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 March 2014

The Week 17 IM Training round up. Riding with the stuntman.

Sunday 9th March 2014

Cycling (04:26:06 / 65.92 / 14.90 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 79 RPM) Elevation 786M

Well that was eventful!
Having agreed to meet up with Nelson and head out for a ride of about 60 miles I was hopeful of some decent weather.  The sky was pretty clear, there was no rain but there was a lot of wind.

It's fair to say that the first 35-40 miles were awful.  The route I had chosen was a bit lumpier than I had anticipated and the combination of very strong wind and hills was making this a lot harder than I expected.

Things were getting tough so Nelson being the good man that he is decided to do a stunt to lighten the mood.  Coming out of Ballynahinch he decided to look round for me and at the same time hit the kerb with his front wheel and perform an overhead flip (with pike) and land still attached to his bike on the pavement. What a guy!  All that just to cheer up a mate.
he was like Colt Seavers in "The Fall Guy" - the ultimate stuntman.



Thankfully he wasn't hurt and even more importantly the bike was OK.

By the time we got to Downpatrick we were really feeling the effect of so many miles riding in the horrendous winds and concentrating on not being blown off the bike, which almost happened a few times.

Thankfully we managed to get a bit of a tailwind (or at least less of a headwind0 on the way back and it took a bit of pressure off.

Not sure what happened with the Garmin but it read as over 1000M of elevation but then changed it's mind to over 700m when loaded to the Garmin Connect website.

I was delighted to have Nelson's company on the ride and I think we kept each other going through a hard ride.  Looks like this will be life for the next couple of months!


Week 17 Summary
10H 32 Mins
 
Swim 2200M
Bike 90.76 Miles
Run 23.76 Miles
 
Another reasonably solid week of training. Decent hours and some good sessions.  The long ride and long run this week were both fairly challenging and I'm fairly pleased with how both went.
I am feeling a little bit frustrated at my cycling as I just don't feel like I am seeing any real improvement in speed or strength.  I am still not all that strong on the bike and find climbing really hard, even when it is just fairly ordinary rolling hills.  I just feel like I should be better than I am at this stage.  I don't know if it is just needing more miles in my legs or I need to do something different.
 
My running is going OK but it is not feeling as easy as it was a few weeks ago before I had the two weeks off for the knee injury.  It's not bad but it could be better.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment