Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Sportsmans Duathlon - Sunday 17th February 2013 - Race Report

Sunday 17th February 2013

Setanta Duathlon (Run 2 / Bike 10 / Run 2)
Run 1 - 00:15:13
T1 - 00:01:59
Bike - 00:38:43
T2 - 00:01:07
Run 2 - 00:15:45

Total Time - 01:12:50

I was really looking forward to this event today as it marked the first proper big outing of our club, it was also the first event of the season and it was nice for me to get back to running after my tribulations with the dreaded Achilles.

Big thanks to Chris McNevison for the lift down and good company.

Run 1 - I remembered this route from the Brownlee Challenge 18 months ago and I knew it was a reasonably fast start and then had a bit of a tough last half mile up a lane. It turned out to be just as I remembered.

The first run went well for me and thankfully the Achilles held up well and didn't give me any bother at all. I was delighted to see the first mile trip over in just under 7.15 mins. The second mile wa a bit slower as it started to go uphill a wee bit. I stated (well the first 400M or so) with a couple of Clubmates, but they disappeared fairly quickly. My first lap of 15.13 was pretty pleasing.

In to transition for my traditionally slow change and then on to the bike.

The Bike - I was very excited about this as it was my first outing with the new aero bars and the bike was looking very sharp and fast. Unlike it's rider!

The course is a 2 loop affair which is pretty much down hill and then back up again. It's a long gradual slope and the wind seemed to build up a wee bit as the ride went on. The reality is that my bike fitness is really bad and it showed pretty early on.

Going down hill I was great and moving pretty quickly. Uphill was a wole different story.

That was one slow tough ride and it really didn't need to be.

Coming back up the road again on the second lap I could see some of my Club mates heading out on the run and they were looking strong. Coach Oliver Harkin being chased down hard by Mark Vaudry and not far behind were Arran McKee, Chris McNevison and "Big Andy" Campbell. Up ahead of them was Michael McLernon who went on to become the first man from the Club home with a stonking performance.

Rumours abound about Mark's tactics in sitting behind Oliver up to the last minute and leaping out for a sprint across the line. Purely rumours, but maybe a degreee of truth in it! no matter what - there were a lot of realy good runs from the guys.

Glad to be off the bike I was back in to T2 and a bit faster this time and out on the run.


Run 2 - I felt a bit stiff legged as I hit the road and even felt a slight cramping twinge on my right calf but it disappeared after half a mile.

I would be lying if I said that the run was comfortable but I pushed on through and managed not to be overtaken by anyone and went past at least 6 people. I was delighted to see that the second run was only just over 30 seconds slower the the first one and even though I haven't been doing as much running as I hoped to recently, it was clear that there is still a bit of strenght in there somewhere.

As I mentioend earlier, I did this event 18 months ago and I am sad to say that today I wa a full 5 minutes slower. I can permit maximum 1 minute on the wind but sadly the rest ia almost entirely down to the collapse in my bike fitmess.

At least I know what I need to work on now.
A Great day out and fantastic to feel part of the club and it is amazing how far we have come as a club in only 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment