Powered By Blogger

Saturday 16 March 2013

Big nerves before a short run - Wallace Parkrun.

Saturday 16th March 2013

Running (3.20 Miles / 00:26:01 / 00:08:20)

Wallace Parkrun - Lisburn

Quite ridiculously I felt nervous this morning before heading down to the 5K Wallace Parkrun in Lisburn.
Why should I feel nervous about doing a 5K? After all it is just a very short run.

The nerves were because this was my first tun on nearly two and a half weeks and I was so anxious to run pain free and see how I held together.
The other thing playing on my mind was running in my new shoes with the new orthotic inserts and how they would feel as they do feel really hard under my foot.

It was fantastic to see so many people at the Parkrun, I think the total was 98 today, which is amazing for only the 3rd week of the event.

Once I got underway on the run I felt physically OK, no pain from my Achilles or feet but it did feel really strange having the insert in my shoe.  It felt like a block of wood under my foot and was beginning to get a bit sore.  For the last mile my toes were beginning to feel a little bit numb and I think this was due to the Orthotic.

As the run went on, my lack of running and fitness was showing.  I wasn't going all that hard but it is clear that I have lost a huge amount of fitness.  Disappointing as that might be I am not all that worried about it as the main objective is just to get running again.

I'm happy to get through the run and will now anxiously observe how the body holds up over the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment