Powered By Blogger

Saturday 4 January 2014

Blah swim but a best ever time over a half marathon route.

Thursday 2nd January 2004

Swimming (1150M / 00:20:57) 18M Pool at Gym

A pathetic effort at a swim.  I wasn't really committed to this lunchtime swim and it showed.
The pace was actually OK but I just didn't want to be in the pool, so instead of doing the planned 2000M I just got out early.

I'm feeling a bit guilty about it but I am just putting this down to the Christmas malaise and I'll be back to full training on Monday again.

Saturday 4th January 20014

Running (13.1 Miles / 01:49:20 / 00:08:21/ HRZ 3)
Half Marathon Time Trial

As part of my training plan I will be doing the Lisburn Half Marathon route and treating it as a Time Trial every four weeks to gauge my progress and also push myself on a bit over a medium distance.
The aim of this is to improve my endurance and speed whilst still keeping it relatively specific to Half and Full Ironman.

My 10 mile run on Monday was encouraging and I was hopeful of being able to hold a steady pace and get close to my PB for Half marathon which was set in September at the Belfast Half Marathon, which is as flat as a pancake.

My goal was to maintain the pace and try to hold on but stay comfortable throughout.

I won't lie.  I didn't find the whole run easy and at times I felt myself digging a bit deeper than I had expected to but the end result was absolutely fantastic.
My previous best at Lisburn was 01:50:50 which I did just before Ironman Frankfurt when I was in absolute peak shape.
For me to go out today, in not ideal conditions and knock out an overall PB by a minute and knock 1 Min and 30 secs off my previous best time, is really pleasing.
I'm genuinely surprised by my progression and I am now starting to get worried about maintaining it and I really hope that it's not a flash in the pan!

The next run in four weeks time will have a goal of knocking a further minute off this time.  That will require me to go 4 seconds per mile faster.  That sounds easy doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment