Powered By Blogger

Sunday 12 January 2014

Has anyone seen our Mountain? And the Week 9 IM Training Round up.

Friday 10th January 2014

Running ( 5.00 Miles / 00:37:21 / 00:07:28 per mile / HRZ 3)
Tempo Run
Lunchtime tempo run.  First few miles with Brendan and then he dropped off to save his legs for Parkrun the next day (which worked as he PBd - well done mate) I then ran on and added another couple of miles to the run.
Not the best of tempo runs for me, although on paper it looks OK and pace is decent, it felt harder than it should have been.  Then again it was my first Tempo run for a couple of weeks so I'm sure I'll get back in to the swing of it.

Saturday 11th January 2014

Running ( 9.00 Miles / 01:18:30 / 00:08:42 per mile / HRZ 2)

I'll be honest.  This wasn't my finest run.  In fact it was out of kilter with the way my running has been going of late.
I've been really confident and comfortable with my running over the last month or two and I seem to me improving every week.  This run was a wee bit of a reality bite and reminded me that sometimes you've just got to run ugly and grind it out.
I have no idea why I felt sluggish and heavy legged.  perhaps it was the 5 mile tempo run the day before or just tiredness but it doesn't really matter.
I a being positive and taking the view that even though it felt crap, I still managed an average pace of
 per mile.  Faster than I used to be.

Sunday 12th January 2014

Cycling ( 35.89 Miles / 02:23:23 / 15.00 MPH / Cadence 79 / HRZ 2)

Has anyone seen our Mountain?
That should have been our call today.
The plan today was to ride with Michael, Mark and James out to Slieve Croob and ride the climb up to the top.
I say that was the plan and not reality because we couldn't find the bloody Mountain!

I was in lofty company with the Guys today as I am not in the same class as them in all aspect of Triathlon.  I was a bit anxious about being destroyed  on the bike and dropped at every occasion, so learning from last week I decided to break out the Carbon framed Specialized bike rather than the rather hefty Flanders Cyclocross bike.
It's fair to say that the ride out to Dromara was pretty challenging. Straight in to a headwind, mizzly rain and a fairly unrelenting upward profile with the odd dip thrown in.
I did my best to hold on to the Boys and I know that they were going easier than they normally would and I more or less hung on ( well, within 100Yards) for most of the ride out.  Except for dropping the chain and having to stop to fix it and the lads having to wait half a mile up the road for me.

Once in to Dromara, neither Michael or Mark could remember the right road to Slieve Croob, and the foggy rain meant that we couldn't actually see the Mountain, so we wound up taking an alternative hill (pretty steep) just because it looked like a decent hill.

Here's what it should look like!


The ride back home again was such a total contrast.  Downward profile with the wind behind we absolutely cranked it back again at literally half the time it took to get out.
So much so in fact that Mark decided we should add in a few more hills on way back to extend the time and the effort of the ride.
As much as I didn't want any more climbing, I thought I really should as this is the part that will build my strength and help my big weakness which is HILLS!

So at the request of Mr V we headed up the Pond Park Road just because we should.  It actually felt OK.  Not brilliant but OK.

I really enjoyed the ride and especially going out with Guys who are so much better than me can only be a good thing - so long as I don't act like an anchor on them.

Week 9 Summary
7Hrs 58 Mins Swim: 4550M
Bike: 51.44 Miles
Run: 19.00 Miles

Hopefully this week will mark the last of my interrupted and disjointed training weeks for some time.  I just feel that with Christmas and New Year and then travelling with work last week that I have let the volume of training drop a bit.
I also have to be critical of myself in so much that I slacked off a couple of sessions such as the Bike Hills session and a Turbo session.
I need to wise up and get the motivation back in shape again.
On a positive note, I think that each of the sessions this week have been of decent quality, so that at least compensates to a small degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment