Powered By Blogger

Saturday 22 October 2011

The Brownlee Challenge - What a day!

Saturday 22nd October 2011

The Brownlee Challenge

**Provisional results**
Run 2 Miles - 00:14:34
T1 - 00:01:10
Bike 10.5 Miles - 00:35:27
T2  - 00:00:39
Run 2 Miles- 00:15:48
Total time - 01:07:39










The day finally arrived when the current World Triathlon Champion (Alistair Brownlee) and the U23 and Sprint Distance World Champion (Jonathan Brownlee) got to race with me at the Brownlee Challenge Duathlon.

I had been looking forward to this so much and the event turned out to be every bit as exciting as I hoped it would be.

The Brownlees were more than happy to pose for photos and sign autographs and were so relaxed and down to earth - just a nice couple of young lads.

The event was based on a 12.00 start for the Women, 12.03 for the Men and 12.06 for the Brownlees to start and catch people up.

My aim was not to be caught in the first mile by them - which was a real possibility as they run at about 5 minute per mile pace, and I usually am around 8 min per mile pace. (Alistair regularly does 10k at the end of the Triathlon in 29 minutes - Flippin' Quick)
The start was blistering and I can't remember running so fast in a race ever before.
I went through the first mile in 06.58 - which is almost certainly the fastest mile I have ever run.
I was being pulled along by my friend Jim and we were together pretty much through to the end of the run.

The good news was that they didn't catch me until about 1.2 miles - I am claiming this as a victory for the common man.  I finished the first run leg of 2 miles in 14.34 which is lightening quick for me.

I got on to the bike and the course was great - 2 big out and back loops and not too hilly - just a bit of a drag back up to the turnaround point.  It was pretty windy however and that made things a bit slower - but my time of 35.27 was very pleasing - especially as I did not get passed by anyone on the bike.
I could not however catch my friends Paul and Donald, both of whom had destroyed me on the run, and I couldn't eat in to them but just maintained the gap.

The 2nd Run leg started with me taking a small cramp in my calf muscle, so I stopped and stretched for a few seconds and then just ran on through it.  I picked off a few people on the run and did not get passed by anyone here either.
The last mile of my run was 07.44 - so I am well pleased that I paced myself well and managed to knock out a fast (for me) mile at the end.

Well done to Mags who was doing her first Duathlon, and I imagine she will have caught the bug.

After the race we were standing admiring the bikes of Johnny and Non Stanford (British Female Duathlon Champion) and they came over.  Johnny was more than happy to have a bit of a chat and he was a really nice guy - and Non is a bit of a looker.

On the whole a great day and well done to all the competitors and especially my fellow Up and Runners who all had a great day out.
The Up and Runners Gang - Me, Paul, Jim, Donald , Mags


Alistair eating his shoe after he found out he is racing me.


Alistair , Non and Johnny with a couple of the organisers.

No comments:

Post a Comment