Powered By Blogger

Thursday 24 January 2013

Great Intervals and fingers crossed for entry tomorrow

Thursday 24th January 2013

Running
(5.00 miles / 00:45:45 / 00:09:08 per mile) Interval Session
It's a sign of how weird and isolated the snowy conditions have been that I'm not able to run at home because the pavements are still covered in thick patchy ice and slush, however just down the road in South and Central Belfast there is nothing on the pavements at all. Very frustrating but I wouldn't let it stop me getting my session in.

So, after work I headed to the Gym to get changed and hit the slush free pavement to get my interval session in.

The set tonight was 5 X .75 mile sets at 8 min mile pace (therefore 0.75 miles in 6 minutes - see how good my maths is!) with a 2.5 minute recovery in between.

The intervals were done in: 5.46 / 5.32 / 5.21 / 5.23 / 5.28
This meant an average time of 5.27 for each set.  This is a pace of 00:07:16 - compared to the target of 8 min miles.  Very pleasing.

I won't say it was easy at all - I definitely felt like I was working hard on the last couple of sets and the good thing is that they were a nice even pace.

On a completely different note, the entry opens tomorrow for the Tri an Mhi Half Iron Distance race on 18th May.  I did this event last year and absolutely loved it.  i will be trying to enter tomorrow and hope that i am one of the lucky 300 to get in. 


My good mate Donald is also going to enter and this can be a nice little warm up for hie big event two weeks later.  he is doing the completely mental, City to Summit, Iron Distance race on 1st June.

 
Check out the link for this act of insanity. (And that's coming from a fellow Ironman - although there is something very tempting about that sort of insane challenge that appeals to me . . . Hmmmmm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment