Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Sons of Anarchy - The Turbo session.


Tuesday 22nd January 2013

Cycling ( 00:45:00 / 10.8 Miles / 13.80 Mph / Cadence 97 rpm) TURBO Session

Given that it is completely frozen outside, to take the bike out at the moment would be an act of complete madness.

Unfortunately the snow and ice up my street was so bad that even getting the car out of the road and down to the Leisure Centre for the Tri Club Spin class was impossible.  So, instead I decided to dust off the Turbo Trainer and knock out a wee session on that.

I noticed something immediately that I got going.  The Spin class must be rubbing off on me as my average cadence was substantially higher than it would have been when I was using the Turbo religiously as part of Ironman training.

I have vivid memories of doing sessions on the Turbo where I worked like a dog to keep a cadence of over 100 rpm for 30 minutes and it was hard going.

This time, my legs were finding a nice comfortable cadence and it was around the 105-110 rpm range.  This was an unexpected benefit of the spin class and was very welcome.

The next challenge is to start to build the power output up a bit as well but I will take this for starters.

I decided to try to recreate some of the Spin sessions that Sam tortures us with and did some hard intervals and some tough standing sprints.  It must have worked as my legs felt it at the end and there was a nice little puddle of water below my bike by the time I finished.

Another spin off benefit was that I got back in to my DVD set of Sons of Anarchy – which I had started watching a while ago on the Turbo but had not seen it since.  It is a great series and I look forward to seeing more of it.
 


Now I need to get my running shoes back on again and head out – if I dare.  I hope it rains and thaws out the snow as the footpaths are still a bit too treacherous up our way for comfortably running on . . . . although maybe in my trail shoes. Hmmmmm?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment