Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 July 2011

Belfast Triathlon - Sun 3 July 2011

Belfast Triathlon
750m Sea Swim - 00:19:34 (Garmin clocked the swim at 980M)
T1 - 00:01:15
25K Bike - 00:41:24 (Garmin clockedthe bike at 15 miles)
T2 - 00:00:47
5K Run - 00:25:59 (run leg 3.37 miles)
Total time - 01:28:59

60th out of 76 overall.



A Really enjoyable, if slightly quirky event. The weather was fantasitc and was around 20 degrees at the start line.

The Swim started on the slipway outside the Dirty Duck Pub at Holywood Yacht Club.  The water temperature was great and much warmer than I had experienced at Glenarm Tri a couple of weeks ago.  I had done the practice swim on Saturday morning and was pleasantly surprised at how warm it was once we got going - and the race was no different.

The lessons from Glenarm open water swim had been learnt and I started wide at the back of the group and tried to stay out of trouble, kept sighting every 6 or 8 strokes and for the most part it worked pretty well.  The only incident was when I swam straight in to the 2nd marker buoy and staved my finger - so much for improved sighting!

The swim felt longer than 750M, and the Garmin later told me that it was almost 1K!  So I was pretty pleased with the time - and YES, Belfast Lough tastes as bad as it looks!

T1 was a bit odd - we got out of the water, stripped the wetsuit off and into trainers for the 1500m run to the Bike transition!!  (This was due to the path from the swim end to the main bike course having some rough tracks that may have wrecked some of the expensive wheels on show - not mine I might add!!) - I have just added this run time on to my run time at the end to come up with my overall run time. 
It was a bit weird getting out of the water and running while still feeling a bit wobbly from being washed around in the Sea.

The Bike was on a totally flat course in Belfast Harbour Estate - not the most inspiring views but a good fast flat couse - albeit with quite a bit of wind to deal with in parts.  The flat course is actually quite punishing as you don't get any freewheel time on the downhills - because ther aren't any!  It's a bit like a Turbo session without the sweat.

T2 was really quick and I managed to be in and out to the run in well under a minute.

The Run went really well, and I managed to pick off a few of the faster cyclists who slowed a bit on the run.  I think I picked up about 6 places overall. It was 3 loops partly on grass and pavement.

On the whole I was aiming to do sub 1:30 and I pushed like crazy in the last 1K to make sure I got there - so I was delighted to get the official results telling me 1:28:59 - a new PB!  Another nice friendly event organised by Derek at Real Triathlon.

Links below.



No comments:

Post a Comment