Powered By Blogger

Thursday 14 July 2011

I am the Egg Man.


Thursday 14th July 2011

Cycling
50.01 Miles
- 03:46:00 (13.3 mph / HR 141bpm Z2 77% Max HR / Cadence 79rpm)
I thought I would give a longer ride a bit of a bash today.
Given the fantastic weather we have had recently I thought the a route out round Glenveagh National Park and the back of Errigle Moutain would have been a bit of a treat.  How wrong can you be!

I knew it would be a challenging route with quite a few climbs and I wasn't disappointed!!
Miles 1-10 were OK with a few nasty little climbs and very rough roads, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I was going and managed to stay in the saddle through the climbs - which is rare for me. I am normally out of the saddle for speed bumps!!

Miles 10 -17 were pretty good if not a bit uninspiring and bleak.

Miles 18-24 - Bloody Hell!!  6 miles straight up hill around the back of Errigle Mountain and the mist came down and the wind was straingt in to me and pretty strong.  At times like this I was genuinely thinking what am I doing here in bleak Donegal Bog Land pedalling in reverse and not even able to see more than about 250M ahead.  Just as well beause it was another climb! What was that I said about staying in the saddle!!

Miles 25-50  (Mile 25 - Egg Mayo Sarnie and a Snickers bar overlooking the Poisoned Glen and Dunlewey) were not too bad and relatively good with a rewarding descent for each climb along the way.
That didn't stop the rain from pelting down but at least the wind was now on my side or back.

I was pretty glad to get back to the Caravan and in to a hot shower, followed by a tin of Coke and a Bacon and Egg Mayo Sarnie.  NICE!

A good sense of achievement, but a bit of a sense of what is to come in training for the next 12 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment