Powered By Blogger

Sunday 31 July 2011

Lough Neagh Triathlon 2011

30 July 2011

Lough Neagh Triathlon
1500m Open Water Swim - 00:31:54
T1 - 00:02:39
40K Bike - 01:20:05
T2 - 00:01:24
10K Run - 00:56:08
Total time - 02:52:09

222nd out of 249 overall.

First Olympic distance Triathlon completed and I am absolutely delighted!

Pre race I was pretty nervous and all the usual doubts started to creep in, but once I got the bike racked and sorted out in transition the nerves started to settle.
Conditions were absolutely perfect with Lough Neagh bathed in sunshine and no wind at all with virtually flat calm on the water.

The Swim
The flat calm didn't last long as 250 people started the swim with a massive washing machine effect, but I managed to start off to the side a bit and avoid the madness.
I felt good throughout the swim, despite taking a very hefty kick to the nose about 700M in, which I seriously thought had done me some damage, but luckily enough there was no blood, but just tears inside my goggles from the blow.
I exited the swim at about 30 minutes and we had a short run through to T1.  Overall a very pleasing swim and time.

T1
This went very well and the liberal application of Baby Oil on my arms and legs before putting the wetsuit on earlier really helped as the Wetsuit just slid off.  I grabbed the bike and was out through T1 in a decent time, although as usual I could learn to shave another 10-15 secs off.

The Bike
I was really looking forward to this but also a bit apprehensive about how I would do on the longer course and the new bike and going "aero" in the Tri bars.  (Aero is not normally a word associated with me!)
The route is brilliant and it is great to have closed roads - it makes you feel like a bit of a pro to be able to take the whole road.
4 Loops of the 6 mile course, and this went really well.
The route is reasonably flat apart from a horrible little hill at about 3 miles on each loop which only lasts about 200M.  I managed to sit through it for the first 2 loops, but had to stand on the pedals for the last 2 loops.
I overtook quite a few people on the bike and the new Cube worked a treat.  It was an absolute pleasure to ride, and I am sure it saved me at least 5 minutes on my time - which I felt was a very respectible 1hr 20 mins.
I kept looking out for my friends Paul and Donald on the return loop on the bike leg but didn't see them - although they both had a better bike time than me.

T2
Quite literally over in the blink of an eye - very good time and felt strong heading to the run.

The Run
The feeling of strength lasted about 1K, then I felt pretty tired, but realised I was running about 7.30 pace, and needed to slow down a bit or I would explode and they would be picking pieces of me out of the other competitors hair!
I eased the pace off and managed to maintain a steady 8.30 pace for about the next 6K.
The run route is 4 out and back loops and this was psychologically tough.  I kept seeing Donald and Paul twice on each loop and was trying to guage whether I was losing ground to both of them.  I was!  but thankfully I manged to keep a steady(ish) rhythm and put in a faster last mile to complete the run in 56 mins.
The Run was brutally hard because of the heat and not being used to running this far off the bike - but I am pleased to have cracked the hour for the run.

So, on reflection - I now feel like a proper Triathlete, having completed and Olympic Distance event, and I would have been delighted to finish at around 3hrs yesterday - so 2.52 feels like a brilliant achievement.
Even better, Donald and Paul both got in under 3 hrs and we all felt great but knackered.

Roll on the next one - I can't wait.

Race link and some photos below - but none of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment