Powered By Blogger

Sunday 8 April 2012

Hare racing in Donegal.

Saturday 7th April 2012


Cycling
03:31:13 – 51.04 Miles (14.50 MPH / HR Zone 2 / 77% Max / Cadence 78rpm)

After having to postpone my ride on Friday I managed to get out.  Yeah!!  I was really looking forward to a hard but scenic ride in Donegal, heading from Marble Hill to Creeslough, Carrigart, Millford, Ramelton, Kilmacrennan, Glenvaegh and back through Creeslough.  Quite hilly.
It started out as a lovely morning - nice and clear but with a hint of dark danger in the sky.

And by God did the dark skies come rolling in.  By the time I got to Creeslough, the skies had started to open and the wind was picking up.

I did see a really big Hare run out in front of me and head up the road at a rate of knots ahead of me - it was lovely to see a Hare as they are not all that common now and it was a beautiful sight.  really big too!

I was making good progress through to nearly Milford and then the wind really picked up and the pace dropped a bit and then I hit a short sharp slope that actually was good fun because it twisted up and around and looked a bit like a low alpine hill. Lovely.

All went well until I started to get back towards Glenveagh, which is a tough enough road as it is Bleak and isolated and the wind was blowing hard.  The rain picked up too and at one point I was in my lowest granny gear and standing up on a flat just to keep going forward.

I was pleased to get back home again and very pleased with the effort and average pace.  I did feel good and could have gone on and done another 20 miles or more.

Wet but enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment