Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Riding the Tunnel.

Wednesday 27th November 2013
 
Cycling (00:43:46 / 8.95 Miles / 12.30 MPH / Cadence 68 / HRZ 2) Elevation gain 324M
Hills - 3 X Pond Park Road
 
A really early start this morning saw me out on the road for my Hill Repeat session just before 6AM this morning.

Thankfully it wasn’t a bad morning and although it was dark and a bit drizzly it was mild enough and not too much wind to cause me much bother.

Three repeats up the Pond Park Road was the aim and I wondered how my legs would feel after the fairly intense Turbo session less than twelve hours earlier.

The answer came pretty quickly on the first repeat as I noticed that I was spinning slower than I would have expected and that the average pace at various marker points on the way up was not quite at “optimum” levels.  It’s seems obvious to say but the Turbo session obviously sapped the leg power.  I’m actually taking this as a positive because it means that the hill sessions will be done on fatigued legs which can only make me stronger, so long as I manage nay risks from injury along the way.

I’ll be honest, it was a strange sensation riding on completely black roads, save for the occasional lorry or car passing by.  The cloud and mizzle put paid to any light from the moon, and riding with the light beam from the bike meant that it was similar to riding in a tunnel, with just the 20 metres ahead of me illuminated.  Quite exhilarating too, but I might not be saying that if it was bucketing down and freezing cold, but that’s the joy of Winter training.

Splits for the 3 repeats were:  09:25 / 09:36 / 09:55 - fairly consistent.
 
Swimming (2000M / 00:57:44)
Endurance session

Another reasonably tough session tonight but very enjoyable.  Apart from 6X50M Breaststroke!
I really hate Breaststroke.  What made me feel even worse was that while I was finishing one of my Freestyle sets, Michael in the next lane was overtaking me while he was doing his Breaststroke set.  That's motivating.  Not!

Still, it was good to get another 2K in and feel half decent after it.  I might be a wee bit sore in the morning as we also did some sets with the paddles on the hands.  My shoulders won't thank me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment