Powered By Blogger

Sunday 22 January 2012

Will I get faster as I get older? I couldn't get slower.

Saturday 21st January 2012

Running
01:30:00 - 10.02 Miles
(08.59 per mile / HR Zone 2 / 81% Max)


Another really pleasing run as the course was a bit tougher than the 10 miler least week and the wind was pretty strong at times.  I am so pleased to be able to knock out a 10 mile run at sub 9 min miles with the HR in the right zone.  I hope this continues, because in the last 6 months I have been able to run in the right HR zone and bring my average pace down from abut 10.15 per mile to probably just under 9 mins per mile. 
This must be the training effect they talk about.

While I was running I was listening to a podcast of an interview with a legendary runner and coach from the 60s and 70s called Bruce Tullah.  He had a cracking quote from an old Jazz musician who when he reached his 100th Birthday said - "If i knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!"  I absolutely loved this.

Bruce himself was not too shabby in his old age and knocked out a 57 mins for 10 miles when he was 60 and 36 mins for a 10K.  I couldn't do either of those times in a car!

No comments:

Post a Comment