Powered By Blogger

Sunday 1 January 2012

Frozen Fingers. Mine not Captain Birdseye.

Sunday 1st January 2012

Cycling
02:32:30 - 37.01 Miles
(14.60 MPH / HR Zone 2 / 76% Max / Cadence 82)

Out for my long ride today and I picked a pretty nice route.  The weather was pretty good albeit a bit windy but nothing too horrible.

I went out to Hillsborough -Anahilt - Ballynahinch - Carryduff - Belfast - Lisburn.
Pace and HR were excellent and I was averaging over 16 mph for the first 1.5 hrs - but then the weather changed dramatically.  It literally started to chuck it down, the wind picked up even more and the temperature dropped about 5 degrees.
The end result was that for the last 40 mins of my ride I was in absolute agony with frozen wet fingers which I couldn't feel apart from the agonising pain of them being frozen.
I was so pleased to get home and I spent about 25 mins in the shower getting sensation back in to my fingers and toes.

I was pleased with the ride and the fact that I stuck at it and made it through in pretty tough conditions.

The scary part!!  This was only 1/3 of the bike distance I will need to do on the day of the Ironman.  A very scary prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment