Powered By Blogger

Sunday 8 December 2013

Batling the wind, missing the view and the week 4 IM training round-up.

Saturday 7th December 2013

Running (6.60 Miles / 01:00:13 / 00:09:05 / HRZ 2)

My weekend long run and I thought it would be a good opportunity to take it really easy and run at a pace that felt sedate.
The great news is that it did indeed feel very easy and the average pace was a bit slower than previous runs, but in saying that so was the corresponding Heart Rate.  Lower than it's been in a long time and plenty of space to crank up the pace a bit but still keep control of everything else.
I'm rather pleased with that.

Sunday 8th December 2013

Cycling (32.47 Miles / 2:09:37 / 15.10 MPH / HRZ 2 / Cadence 77) Elevation Gain 576M

The Sunday long run was under some doubt of cancellation and was dependent on my condition this morning following the Tri Club Christmas Dinner last night.
Thankfully on so many levels I woke up feeling fine and decided to hit the road and get a decent ride in.
My intention was to head up the hill from the house and make my way up to Divis Mountain which is a decent wee climb.  Once I got to the road just below Divis it became clear to me that I was going to have to rethink things as I couldn't even see the big transmitters on the top of the Mountain because the weather had closed in and I was already engulfed in fog and mizzle.  No point heading up to one of the best views over Belfast if all I was going to see was rain and cloud.

This is what it should look like


I then took a turn down towards Dundrod along the home straight of the Ulster Grand Prix.  Sadly the wind was absolutely battering me and it was pretty rough at times.

The wind was a constant feature of the ride and it was really strong and my route unfortunately meant that I was riding in to it or across it.  I know that his explains my slightly lower average speed but I am pleased with myself that I rode through it and even though there were some tight hills and strong winds I actually never really felt under any pressure and kept comfortable.


Week 4 Summary9Hrs 15 Mins
Swim: 3800M
Bike: 85 Miles
Run: 16.91 Miles

A pretty successful week of training and the first week that I have managed to get all the sessions in, except for the Core strength sessions.  I really am struggling to get these in to my structure but I will find a way.
The great thing is that the levels were all either consistent or up this week, more miles running and cycling and average running pace is up a bit too.
Good news I think.

Next week will be a challenge as I am away on business for a couple of days and think I will struggle to get all of the sessions in but I don't think it will kill me if I miss one or two for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment