Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Nice up top but wheezy at the bottom.

Tuesday 6th March 2012

Cycling
00:47:05 - 9.12
(11.60 MPH / HR Zone 2 / 79% Max / Cadence 79rpm)

This was the first of my cycling sessions that have replaced one of my weekly swims.  I am using this session to do some Hill climbing and today kicked it off.

Up and out of the House at 6.00AM and straight up the Pond Park Road which takes me towards the top of White Mountain. (Not much of a mountain but a pretty decent hill)

3 sets of climbs up and a cruise back down to recover. It was hard going and the hill starts out quite steep and then flattens after about 1/4 of a mile, then steepens up to close on 10% for about another 1/4 mile - then it lessens a bit right the way to the top.

The lovely clear morning started out pretty dark but dawn started to come through at about 6.20 and I was rewarded with a lovely sun rise over the Lagan Valley for my efforts.


I am pleased with the way it went and I know that if I keep this up and increase the number of repetitions the speed and climbing legs will improve.  Not easy but actually very enjoyable - When it was all over!

Running
01:00:00- 6.68 Miles (09.00 per mile / HR Zone 2 / 85% Max)
[@10 mins Insert 2X4.5 Mins @ Z4 HR with 1.5 Min jog recovery in between]

This was my first run since having my chest infection and it was a tough enough session to come back to.  Obviously the chest infection is not totally cleared away, as after the faster sessions (Zone 4) I was struggling a bit to catch my breath - I have no idea what Asthma is like but this gave me a very slight indication.  the 2 sets in Z4 were run at approx. 6.50 per mile pace - this is pretty swift for me.


A couple of minutes after the last speed session I was pretty much back to normal and was pleased to round out the run averaging 9mins per mile and staying in HR Zone overall.  Not bad today, but I know I am not totally back to fitness yet - but definitely very much improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment