Powered By Blogger

Thursday 8 March 2012

Oh my poor legs.

Wednesday 7th March 2012
Swimming
2500M - 01:03:16 in 25M
pool at Lisburn Leisureplex
2500M straight through
Total 2500M

My First swim in 2 weeks and i was a bit nervous about it as I find that my swim fitness leaves me quicker than my run or bike.  The best thing was just to get up early and hit the pool.  So I did.

The first 10 lengths were tough enough and my arms felt pretty tight, but I loosened up and got back in to the swing of it by about 30 lengths.

I took splits at 30/60/90 lenghts and the first 2 were very even but the 3rd on was about 2 mins slower - so that tells the real story about the fitness.

Still, I am glad it went OK and I am looking forward to getting back in again at 5.30 on Friday Morning.

Brick Session

Cycling
00:45:49 - 11.69 miles
(15.30 MPH / HR Zone 2 / 78% Max / Cadence 65)
I decided that now that the weather is supposed to be getting a bit better that I would start doing a lot more cycling outside than indoors on the Turbo.  The weather was certainly not better!!  It blew an absolute gale and I was nearly taken off the bike a couple of times and the first half was straight in to a block headwind and then hailstones.  Nightmare.


The good news was that I got about 4 miles back with a strong tailwind.  It was lovely but still a bit dicey with the strength of the wind.

Running
00:15:00 - 1.76 Miles
(08.32 per mile / HR Zone 2 / 832 Max)
Now - here is where the real difference in outdoor cycling versus indoor cycling become apparent - when you get off the bike to run.  Most of my Brick runs have been straight off the Turbo in recent times and this one came as a bit of a culture shock having just been battered by the wind and hailstones.  This felt tough and the legs were really heavy and cold.


After about half a mile I was thinking "Oh my God, I have to do a marathon after a monster cycle in about 4 months time, how can I ever do it?"

However, I just dug in and it got a bit easier and I slowed down a wee bit.
The pace was actually OK and HR was fine too - it was just the legs that were suffering a bit - but that is supposed to happen and that's why these training sessions are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment