Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Hit the snooze button but don't overanalyse.

Wednesday 13th June 2012
Swimming
It didn't happen!!  I was literally completely knackered this morning when the alarm went off for my early swim and I could not get out of bed.
It wasn't a big swim - just a 2500M swim so I am not too worried about missing it as I have a 4000M swim planned for Friday morning.
At this stage I have to trust that the vast majority of the work is done and hope that the extra bit of rest would help me feel better for my Brick session later this evening.



Brick Session
Cycling
00:59:00 – 16.13 Miles (16.40 MPH / HR Zone 2 / 75% Max / Cadence 83)


This evening had a rather ominous looking sky and it was hard to tell what it was going to do - rain, sun or a bit of both.  As it turned out I did not get rained on but I didn't exactly get sunburn either.

I headed through Lisburn and out the Hillhall Road towards Shaws Bridge and then back through Drumbeg and Ballyskeagh.  This made for a fairly rolling route.  Not much in terms of big hills (apart from the usual brute up home) but enough to just keep the legs honest.
I was pleased to keep up an average pace of over 16mph on this challenging little route and especially to power up the hill home - it is really starting to feel a lot easier.
What I wouldn't give to average 16mph during the Ironman?  I would love to.

Running
00:15:00 - 1.87 Miles (08.02 per mile / HR Zone 2 / 82% Max)


Straight off the bike and in to the run.
I have had a little niggle in my left foot (probably the injury paranoia) so I decided to cut the run from 30 mins to 15 mins just in case.
As it turns out, all was well and if anything I was able to crack out a pretty decent pace at just a smidgen over 8 min per mile.

To be honest it surprises me sometimes the pace I do these short brick runs at  compared to what I would go out and do without being on the bike.  I don't know what it is but I suspect it is because the bike has acted as a warm up and got he heart rate going and the legs are used to turning over pretty quick for pedalling.  I won't over-analyse it but just be happy with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment